The refurbishment and conversion of a Grade II listed granary in Barking, London. The granary was built in 1870 and was once at the heart of a thriving industrial port along the River Roding. It is the only remaining part of the once larger mill. Currently used for storage, the building is no longer contributing to the life of Town Quay and the wider area. The project includes the restoration of the building’s Italianate roof and exterior as well as key internal heritage features. Additional to the restoration work, we are converting the ground floor into a bar / restaurant with a new deck and pontoon over the River, as well as six new apartments on the upper floors. We set out by working closely with the Local Authority, the Port of London Authority, engineers and heritage consultants to get a full understanding of the parameters for design. The scheme looked to enhance the historical features of note through sensitive intervention. The deck and pontoon were designed to sit off the principal facade of the granary and to feel lightweight, giving an ephemeral quality to the extension with a complementing reflection in the Mill Pool.