The site is located within the Harley Street Conservation Area within the setting of a number of listed buildings. The site is owned by The King’s Fund, a charity with Royal Charter working to improve health and healthcare in England. The existing buildings, arranged in an ‘L’ shape at the end of Dean’s Mews, range in height and style. Though two are deemed unlisted buildings of local merit, the historic research demonstrated that all these buildings were built post 1959 and brought into question this status. The fall in levels into the site create a challenging set of constraints in which to design and develop these new houses.
The proposal is for more than 6,500sqft of new development split into four new family-sized houses with traditional detailing and design. The new proposals will restore the historic arrangement of the plots and help unify the mews. They will remain subservient in scale and detail to the surrounding context, helping to improve the buildings impact in the wider setting and in their immediate context. The designs maximise every sq ft of the site in creative ways and integrate the latest technology for the demands of today’s modern families.